December 6th - Parkrun Dilemma

   

Chris and Rob at Havant Parkrun

    I am fairly new to the world of Parkrun, if you're not sure what it is then let me explain, Parkrun is a free weekly Saturday morning 5km run, Parkrun's happen all over the country, there are 5 Parkrun's in my area. Parkrunner's are issued their own personal barcode which is scanned in at the end of each run enabling you to keep track of your progress, its a brilliant idea. 

    I say I am fairly new to Parkrun, that is a lie, I've actually had a Parkrun barcode for about 5 years but I have never had the confidence to actually join in with one, that was until this July when I took part in my first Parkrun. Last Saturday (the 4th) I took part in my 10th Parkrun, the location I generally choose is in Southsea mainly because I know some of the other runners and it is next to the sea if I feel like I need a dip, The Southsea run is very popular often getting between 300 and 400 runners.

    I've was asked not too long ago whether I run the Parkrun's without my shirt on and the answer in short is no. you see I think its a bit more complicated than just getting on and doing it. I am not 100% sure if I feel that it is the right thing to do, I mean don't get me wrong, I would love to run Parkrun shirtless but there are things to consider. 

1 - As I mentioned I have run Parkrun since July and in that time I have never seen another shirtless runner, not at Southsea or at any of the other local runs. 

2 - The Parkruns are organised events, many runners wear the various Parkrun branded t-shirts (quite cool but not my cup of tea) and a lot of runners take the events really seriously (which is great) in all their high tech running gear and trainers. and there I am bouncing along towards the back in a vest and shorts trying not to get in anyone's way. 

and lastly

3 - For a very short while I was a member of a Parkrun Facebook group, a quick search led me to find that there are a small group of people who dislike the idea of runners who run without a shirt, I totally understand their point of view, some random sweaty bloke showing off his body, who wants to see that, I get it, I really do. As I have said in previous posts I do not do this to show off my body, I do it because I like to experience the cold and freedom.

Rob and Chris at Queen Elizabeth Country Park Parkrun


    There is something that I really find uncomfortable, something I avoid at all costs and that is confrontation, It scares the crap out of me, I hate the idea of being confronted by anyone about anything and If I were to turn up to a Parkrun without a shirt on and someone were to question me or tell me to stop then I would probably crumple inside and feel like would not want to run at that Parkrun again. 

    So there is my dilemma, I want to run Parkrun shirtless but I am not convinced that its the right thing to do, maybe I just need to work on my confidence. What do you think?


Southsea Park Run - Dec 2021

 

Comments

  1. I ran a 10 miler without a top once. I hadn’t planned on it; but around about 2 miles in, I was sooo hot, I had no choice but to get it off and tie it round my waist.

    If anyone minded, they didn’t say anything. And if they had said anything, I would have just had to tell them I chose the wrong top for the day! (It was unseasonably warm!)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love this, there are times it is just too uncomfortable and hot to wear one.

      Delete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

August 7th - Mr Fox and Mr Badger

Beginning to Feel Alive - Part 2