December 13th - Motivated to Run

I have been running weekly for a while now, sometimes I do a Parkrun, sometimes I do a run with Chris and Matt, sometimes it is a combination of both of those and I even go on my own for the odd run. I have lots of opportunities to run which makes me very lucky plus I am very keen to go running so I don't really need any motivation to actually go running, that is not what this post is about despite the title.

If you have kept up with my blog you will be aware that I have enjoyed running shirtless for many years, its not something I have always plucked up the courage to do but I am getting more confident in recent times. There is something I have often said about running shirtless - I always feel I run better without a shirt on, I find I run further, I feel better and generally I think I get a better workout. 


I have had this idea in my head as to why I think I run better and it wasn't until today during a small discussion with Matt that I had my idea confirmed. I run in all sorts of places, woodlands, along the coast, through residential areas, all over the place, sometimes it is busy and other times it is quiet but no matter where I run there are always people about, even early in the mornings in the forests I see dog walkers every minute or 2, it is really rare to find places to run without seeing anyone. 

When I run shirtless I generally wear shorts and running shoes, I like to think I look like a runner, I look like I am trying to keep fit, when someone sees me run past them I imagine they may be a little bemused that I am running in the freezing cold with no shirt on but I do look like a runner and I am past them in just a few moments. 

Sensible Chris with crazy Matt and Rob

During my runs I do often stop for a walk to catch my breath once or twice, I am still working on doing this less but I find myself needing a bit of a walk especially when hills are involved.     So, imagine the scene, you are walking along one freezing morning and you see a random bloke in just a pair of shorts walking towards you, I am sure most people would put 2 and 2 together and realise I am just catching my breath during a run but in MY head this feels odd.

I often say that my brain is my worst enemy, I really shouldn't worry what other people think of me when I am out in my shorts, but I do,  and because my weird brain is telling me it looks better if I am running then do actually find myself running more which is a bonus. 

Today I ran with Matt and Chris at the very hilly Queen Elizabeth Country Park, there were plenty of dog walkers and the route we took felt like it was more up than down.  Matt has joined me in running shirtless these last few runs and it was on the drive home he mentioned that he finds he runs better without a shirt on. Matt talked about feeling the need to run whenever we were near other walkers as he also thought it would look odd seeing two shirtless guys in the middle of the forest walking, My theory had been confirmed, it wasn't just me who thought this, running shirtless makes me more motivated to run.

Misty trails to run through

Last week I did a Parkrun (in a running vest as I always do) and I managed to run the entire 5km without stopping for a walk midway, this was a first for me but it took a lot of thinking about having to keep my pace slow enough so that I wouldn't run out of energy. I really did feel that this was an achievement and I was chuffed to bits, I now know I can actually run 5km without stopping.     It is time to work on the idea of ditching the shirt for the Parkrun. I really do feel I would run better but I just need to pluck up the courage, I will be running in a much busier place and with lots of other people, it is going to be a big challenge for me and I am really nervous about the idea but I feel I need to do it.  

Work is very busy for me this time of year and I don't have much time to fit the Parkruns in, the next Parkrun I know I can do for sure will be on Christmas day so I have a couple of weeks to think about taking that next big step, in the meantime I need to convince my brain I can do it. 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

August 7th - Mr Fox and Mr Badger

December 6th - Parkrun Dilemma

Beginning to Feel Alive - Part 1