7th December - Goldilocks Waves

    I really love big waves, they are so much fun, don't get me wrong I do love a perfectly calm glass like sea to swim in but there is something about big waves, I love to watch the waves roll in, each one as strong as the last, surging up the beach with such energy and then falling away again ready for the next one. I find it so wonderful to see how much power there is out there in the big open ocean. 

    When the big waves arrive I find myself itching to get into the water. There have been a few times I have driven down to the beach and watched the huge waves and thought to myself "nope, too big and too dangerous". I generally like to think of myself as a very safe swimmer and in those instances when its too rough I drive home slightly grumpy but also happy that I've not risked my own safety. There was one occasion I miss judged the big waves and I got caught in one that slammed me to the beach. I still have a scar on my knee to prove it (albeit a scar of happy memories).


    It has taken me a while to start to understand the sea and the waves, see how they work and get to know when it is safe or not, I am still very cautious and no one will ever truly know the sea but I like to think I am on my way to understanding her. I have come to learn that there is type of wave condition that I like to call Goldilocks Waves, they are not too calm and they are not too dangerous, They are not too big but not too small, the current is not too strong and the tide is not too high, its all about everything being just about right, just like Porridge.

    These Goldilocks moments don't happen often, I would much rather step away and miss a swim than risk my life so as you can imagine these Goldilocks moments are rare occurrences. Today however Goldilocks was on my side and the conditions were just about right, A low tide meant that I could stand up between the waves, the wind was blowing towards the shore and the waves were not too big. It was just before Storm Barra hit the area full on, any later and I would have stepped away without a swim but luck was on my side and I managed to head in for a dip.



    As you all know I love my cold water swims but there is something about the extra added thrill of the waves to make it extra special, there is a constant rush of excitement as I plough through each wave only to have a few seconds to recover before the next one sweeps over me. Its like being on a roller coaster with an endless amount of loops, twists and turns. 

    And so, allow me to introduce you to the Goldlocks waves I like, as featured in this short video from this mornings swim. 



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

December 6th - Parkrun Dilemma

August 7th - Mr Fox and Mr Badger

Beginning to Feel Alive - Part 2