November 26th - Innerer Schweinehund

    Hello all, I discovered a cool German expression today - Innerer Schweinehund, I will however get to that in a bit as I want to tell you about my swim with Ann this morning. 


    The drive down to our beach of choice (Hayling beach) takes me about 15 minutes, We choose to go there because its sort of a local beach for both of us and it is a very easy drive. Usually the drive down to the beach involves me setting off and then as soon as possible I put the heating on so I can get my van nice and toastie and warm. On arrival I tend to sit and chat to Ann to catch up on the current goings on so it is lovely to have a nice warm vehicle. 

    Today was no different, we sat there chatting about various things, as it is Friday I have a weekend of work ahead (I work weekends) and Ann had a full day planned, most of the time I like to think we both have an inner wolf which is keen to bound down the beach to meet the breaking waves, other times I like to think we have an inner dolphin which will launch into the sea with all the elegance a dolphin would have,  today however it was not one of those days, today we had an Innerer Schweinehund, an inner pigdog. 

    An inner pigdog is that voice in your head that says to you "its nice and warm in here, its ok to miss the swim today, you don't need to do it", or "why not stay dry and drink your coffee, there is cake too". The inner pigdog is a hard one to silence and when I have tried to swim on my own he often makes an appearance to prevent me from going for that swim or run. 

    The great thing about my friendship with Ann is that we make plans and we stick to them, by making appointments to swim we feel that we have to meet so that we don't let the other person down, we have to go through with it, we almost act as each others inner wolf or dolphin. 

    We did indeed go through with our swim today even though the Innerer Schweinehund made an appearance to both of us but we egged each other on and the swim was fabulous, it was cold, a bit rainy and the waves were a little bumpy but it was an excellent swim. Thankfully we both left our Innerer Schweinehund on the beach today and drove home happy and energetic after our amazing dip.

https://www.thelocal.de/20181019/german-word-of-the-day-innere-schweinehund/





Comments

Popular posts from this blog

December 6th - Parkrun Dilemma

August 7th - Mr Fox and Mr Badger

Beginning to Feel Alive - Part 2